Roots & Wings – Navigating Parenthood
“There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.”
Session 1: Perceptions
How do I really see my child?
You will have a deepened sense of who you are in the world and will begin to understand how your perceptions have a direct impact on the relationship you have with your child.
- You will clearly understand the road this course will take, as well as all logistics and expectations.
- You will begin to understand ‘your story’ vs ‘your child’s story’.
- You will have clarity on what YOUR five most important values are.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are. Anais Nin
Session 2: Grounding
What does ‘being a conscious and grounded parent’ mean to me?
You will understand the importance of being grounded in all interactions with your child and will have the tools to draw on in order to strengthen your consciousness in this capacity.
- You will be able to identify your ‘child triggers’.
- You will have a clearer understanding of your ‘whole body’ in regards to the relationship you have with your child.
- You will have tangible tools to draw on to assist you to remain ‘rooted’.
From little seeds grow mighty trees. Aeschylus
Session 3: Balance
How do I find balance for my child and I in our world?
You will understand how your balance has a direct impact on your child, and your family, and you will be given tools in order to create continued stability throughout all areas of your life.
- You will understand the importance of self-care
- You will begin to see how your internal balance affects your external world.
- You will learn how to make considered commitments.
- You will identify and explore your essential and your social self.
The delicate balance … is not creating them in your own image, but giving them the opportunity to create themselves. Steven Spielberg
Session 4: Engaging
What language do I speak?
You will understand what real engaging is, and how fundamental it is to the basis of all relationships, and you will be given tools to enhance this skill of yours.
- You will begin to see the value of engaging from head, heart and gut.
- You will learn and experience what questions to ask and which to avoid when engaging with your child.
- You will investigate your love language.
The best and the most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Session 5: Listening
What is my child really telling me?
You will understand the power of real listening and will be given tools to enhance this skill of yours.
- You will understand the importance of listening from head, heart and gut.
- You will be introduced to the elements necessary for effective listening.
- You will celebrate being listened to, as well as the power of your silence.
A wise old owl lived in an oak, the more he heard the less he spoke, the less he spoke the more he heard, why aren’t we all more like this bird? Old English Nursery Rhyme
Session 6: Speech Acts
How can I talk so my child will listen?
You will understand the power of the language that you use and will learn tools for effective communication.
- You will become more conscious of your language.
- You will learn about different speech acts and how to make an effective requests.
- You will discover the power of your vulnerability.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. Winston Churchill
Session 7: Parent as Coach
How can I coach my child into adulthood?
You will understand what it means to ‘coach your child’ and will become familiar with the coaching process.
- You will understand the elements necessary to ‘coach your child’.
- You will learn about the flow of the coaching process.
- You will experience the power of coaching.
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar. Helen Keller
Session 8: The Beginning
Where to from here?
You will understand the ‘full picture’ of being a conscious parent and will be able to take your learning’s with you as you venture forth on your journey.
- You will consolidate your learnings and reflect on the journey during this course.
- You will have the opportunity to give and to receive thanks.
- You will celebrate the end of the beginning.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Lao Tzu
‘I will happily recommend this course to any parent. It is unique, unconventional and uses a coaching approach to equipping parents with tools to have better, happier relationships with their kids. It helps you to connect with yourself and to understand yourself better. This course will be beneficial to all aspects of our lives as the understanding you gain may be used at home, at work and with friends.’
“With Lindsy’s strong but warm hearted presence I was able to get vulnerable and get to see old patterns of behavior I am now ready to shift. Thank heavens there are people like Lindsy who seek to help others shift behavior that no longer serves them. I had become numb due to what I perceived as the daily drudgery of parenting. I now feel uplifted and empowered by the tools I have been given in the Roots and Wings Course. I can breathe again!”
“Participating in Lindsy’s Roots and Wings course has been a true gift.
Throughout the course, Lindsy imparted parenting tools and life lessons that have filtered their way into our everyday lives resulting in the most astounding transformation of our family dynamic. It has completely shifted the way that I listen to my children, the way I speak to them; and as a result we engage as a family in a much more meaningful way. While the emphasis of the course is on conscious parenting, the insights gained throughout the eight weeks extend well beyond my role as a mother. I truly feel that my roots have deepened, and my wings have grown.
Roots and Wings is much more than a “course”….it is an ongoing life journey; and one that I am very grateful to have begun.”